Paul Ecker, RG, LHG
Paul Ecker has 29 years’ experience as an environmental consultant. Prior to founding EES in 2012, Paul was a senior environmental geologist and partner in a small consulting firm since 1999. He has managed numerous contaminant investigations across Oregon and the Pacific Northwest evaluating both uplands and in-water sites in the context of various local, state, and federal regulatory criteria. He has directed and evaluated risk assessments for a broad range of exposure scenarios, managed and closed long-term remediation projects involving both organic and inorganic contaminants, and conducted numerous third-party technical reviews analyzing the reasonableness of approach, scope, and budget regarding environmental work conducted by other firms.
Many of Paul’s current and past projects have been conducted as part of voluntary agreements and in cooperation with regulatory agencies including the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality, Washington Department of Ecology, and U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
Paul’s work emphasizes development of project goals and strategies, analysis of project needs and data gaps in the context of regulatory guidance, and integration of complex technical details in a manner that communicates implications and key concepts in verbal presentation and well-written documentation.
- Directs and has obtained regulatory closure at numerous subsurface and remedial investigations and cleanups across Oregon and Washington. His project experience includes work at industrial and high-tech manufacturing facilities, metal plating facilities and foundries, former lumber mills and wood treating operations, retail fueling stations, petroleum terminals, redevelopment properties, marinas, and residential, commercial, and office properties.
- Provides third-party review and technical support on environmental projects related to a range of contaminant types. This work emphasizes the nature and timing of historical releases, fate and transport of contaminants, technical quality of site investigation and remedial efforts in the context of applicable regulatory criteria, reasonableness of incurred/projected costs, and cost allocation.
- Directs and has performed numerous Phase I ESAs and other due-diligence inquiries for a variety of property types and a broad range of clients including lenders, legal firms, business owners, heavy industry, high-tech manufacturing, private developers and community development organizations, and architects. While working at the Portland office of a national environmental consulting firm during the 1990s, Paul served as project coordinator and contract manager for due-diligence general service agreements established with various major banks, and managed work for on-call contracts with various public agencies.
- B.S., Geology, Brown University
- B.A., English Literature, Brown University
PROFESSIONAL REGISTRATIONS & CERTIFICATIONS
- Oregon Registered Professional Geologist (#G1321)
- Washington Licensed Geologist & Hydrogeologist (#693)
- Washington Department of Ecology Registered Site Assessor (ICC #879397)
INDUSTRY AFFILIATIONS & ACTIVITIES
- Air and Waste Management Association, Oregon Chapter Board Member
- Association of Engineering Geologists, Member
- Geological Society of America, Member
- Oregon Association of Environmental Professionals, Member
- Northwest Environmental Business Council, Member
- National Groundwater Association, Member
Paul has authored, delivered, and moderated presentations on environmental investigation, cleanup, and management at local and national conferences.