Daniel C. Peek, PhD
Senior Environmental Chemist
Dr. Daniel Peek is an environmental chemist with over 25 years of experience in environmental forensics, litigation support, soil science, pesticide chemistry, and analysis of environmental samples. Dr. Peek specializes in the study of transport and geochemical fate of toxic pollutants and their environmental effects. He has provided scientific and strategic consultation to industrial clients on the design and implementation of CERCLA and RCRA investigations, cost-effective remediation approaches, and negotiations with state and federal agencies, and has managed multidisciplinary investigations, risk assessments, and feasibility studies. Dr. Peek investigates the industrial archeology of sites to understand the history of contaminant sources in a given area. He has particular expertise in the environmental chemistry and source identification of dioxins and furans, PCBs, PAHs, and heavy metals and metalloids. Dr. Peek has also been involved in litigation support on the allocation and appropriateness of remediation costs at a variety of sites. In addition, he has several years of experience in organic synthesis.
- Provided expertise in environment forensics and chemistry in support of hundreds of RI/FS projects located throughout the Western U.S. with emphasis on pesticides and dioxins and furans.
- Supported a variety of clients in litigation by acting as an expert witness in the areas for environmental forensics and chemistry, pesticide regulation compliance, and quality assurance of analytical data.
- Managed numerous complex RI/FS projects within state and federal regulatory programs involving pesticide dump sites and landfills.
- Analyzed geochemical data in support of remedial action planning, implementation, and operation and maintenance. This analysis has been integral to remediation optimization, dramatically reducing the timeframe required to complete cleanup.
- Ph.D., Pesticide Science, Oregon State University, 1988
- M.S., Soil Chemistry, Oregon State University, 1984
- B.S., Chemistry, California State University, Long Beach, 1978
- American Chemical Society
- Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry
- Association for Environmental Health and Sciences
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
Dr. Peek has published and/or presented on more than 25 occasions on a variety of chemistry-related topics.